Before I get into the recipe, let me explain what a ‘Thogayal’ is to all my non-Tamilian friends. ‘Thogayal’ is basically a thick chutney which is generally eaten with rice. Nothing can beat the taste of fresh Coconut or Paruppu (lentil) Thogayal mixed with hot rice and a spoonful of gingelly oil. South-Indians make Thogayal from almost everything that you can think of – Coconut, Paruppu, Onions, Brinjal, Chow-Chow, Pumpkin,Curry leaves and Carrots to name a few. I have even eaten Thogayals made of Ivy Gourd, Ridge Gourd etc when I was in Hyderabad. Such is the popularity of this super-easy and quick to make dish!
Coconut Thogayal also happens to be Dh’s absolute favourite. On days when I don’t feel like cooking, all I need is just one coconut to make him happy.
So here’s how you make this dish.
Thengai Thogayal/Coconut Thogayal
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Half a Coconut, Grated
- 1 tblsp of Urad dal
- 5 dry Red chillies
- A generous pinch of Asafoetida (I used the dry Asafoetida/ Katti Perungayam)
- A small ball of Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbs of Gingelly oil.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add asafoetida and fry it.
- Add Urad Dal, Red Chillies and roast till they turn red/brown.
- Wait for it to cool down.
- Grind the above mixture with Salt, Tamarind and Grated coconut.
- Add water if necessary and grind to a coarse paste.
- Eat it with hot rice and some gingelly oil on top of it.
- Save a little bit of roasted Urad Dal and grind the rest. Add this saved up bit during the last run to get the aroma of Urad Dal.
- Make sure that the tamarind is seedless. You can use Tamarind paste instead of dry tamarind.