Ever since I saw this recipe in Edible Garden, I have been thinking of making it. Somehow my eyes got fixated to the picture of 5 lentils in that glass bowl. One good thing about staying in Delhi is, you name a Dal you get it here. Dal also happens to be Dh’s favourite and he loves the Dal-Roti combo. Oh yeah! He is a “Dal Roti Khao, Prabhu ke Gun Gaoo!!” types. So I got this bag of mixed Dal from Supermarket and followed Nags‘s recipe to T. Thank you Nags! It just tastes yummy!
Cooking time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 4
1 Large Cup of Mixed Dal
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 large tomato, pureed
1 large onion, ground to a paste
1″ piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 Tsp Ghee
1 Tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
1-2 Coriander leaves
- Cook the Mixed Dal in the Pressure Cooker with around 5 Cups of water and a little bit of turmeric. Keep it for atleast 5-6 whistles. The Dal should be cooked mushy.
- Heat the oil in a kadai and add Jeera.
- When Jeera turns brown, add the ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Next, add the ground onion paste and Chilly powder.
- Cook it till oil starts separating from the onion gravy and its fried. Add the Tomato Puree and Salt.
- Simmer it for about 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add the cooked dal, mix well and simmer for 5 mins until all the flavours have blended.
P.S – Sending this entry to Legumes and Lentil Event