Vazhaikkai Podimas is a tradition South Indian Dish. Its very easy to prepare and a very healthy recipe. It can be a good alternative to the usual Vazhaikkai/Plantain fry that we make. It tastes brilliant with hot steamed rice and Sambar/Rasam.
- Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Serves: 2
- Raw Bananas/Plantain – 5 small
- 1 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (For Tempering)
- 1 or 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Small piece Ginger (Chopped)
- ½ Lemon
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
How I made:
- Cut the Raw Bananas into half and steam- cook it for about 3 minutes without putting the whistle on. (Pierce a knife into it to check if its cooked well)
- Peel the skin and grate it. (The test for perfectly cooked banana is to check if you’re able to peel it easily).
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add Urad dal and Chana dal. (Fry them till they turn golden brown)
- Add Asafoetida, Ginger, Green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add Salt.
- Add the grated Banana and mix it thoroughly. Close it with a lid and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the Lid and Add the grated coconut and mix everything well.
- Let it cool for sometime.
- Squeeze about half a lemon for a little tangy taste.
- Enjoy the Vazhaikkai Podimas with Sambar and hot Steamed rice.